That Girl from That Team

LEARN. DO. TEACH. REPEAT.

Monday, January 16, 2012

My Unit

It was just two years ago when a friend of mine convinced me to get up early on a Saturday morning to attend a group workout.  I used to be very athletic until college got in the way (ha!) so I didn't think much of it.  Still, I had no idea what I was in for...
As I walked into the workout room ready to kick some butt I suddenly became anxious with all the faces I realized I did not know.  I was overwhelmed with all the introductions with everyone's names going in one ear and out the other (not to mention I was still half-asleep).  I did manage however, to quickly get familiar with one particular face, that of Derek Heikes.  He was the man who was to lead the workout, the man I would soon blame for all the misery in the world.

I can't tell you how many different moves we did but from I remember, I was already panting after the warm-up jumping jacks.  I also remember hurting through the pushups (which were in terrible form by the 5th one mind you), and crying (not literally) with every variation of the squat we had to do.  There was a moment when I felt like vomitting the last two years worth of food and many moments to follow where I regretted having had a single sip of alcohol the night before.  Let's just say I reeked and it wasn't pleasant whatsoever.

By the end of what felt like hours of pain and suffering, I could barely remember my own name.  I had no idea who I was anymore!  How is it that I went from being one of the most athletic girls in my high school class to feeling like death after one hour of cardio and plyometrics?  I knew right then and there that I had to change some things in my life and I knew this was the perfect opportunity to do so.

Immediately, I opened up and made conversation with two of the guys there named Allan and Chris, both of whom cordially invited me to workout more regularly with them.  I knew that I would need support if I was going to be serious about getting healthy again and they were kind enough to offer exactly that.

Over the course of the next few months, I went to Chris's house (AKA "HQ") and worked out in their basement (AKA "The Dungeon") about 5 times a week. There were several people who joined in with our smaller group workouts but 4 in particular were there each and every time. In addition to Chris and Allan, there were the Ces brothers, James and Jon

With my days wrapped around better eating, regular exercise and such warm friends who shared the same goals, it was inevitable for us to become as close as family in due time. Everywhere I went people would ask which of the 4 was my boyfriend and I would laugh and say, "all of them!" (It's a joke, Mom.)  In short, I ended up referring to them as my Unit because it was just easier that way.

To this day, I am grateful to have met this wonderful group of friends when I did.  You guys saved my life whether you realise it or not.  In addition to My Unit, who are also the "Core 4" founders of That Team, I was blessed to meet Derek, Kim and Maia that day, and so many other great leaders and friends thereafter.

Little did I know the mere conversation of getting back into shape would lead to such greatness!  Cheers to January 16 and this being my 2nd anniversary with That Team
I love you all dearly!

Here are some pictures because pictures are fun!


This is Allan, Derek, and Chris at one our group workout/cookout events.


Jon (left) and James (right) just so happen to be Irish twins.
The matching therefore makes sense (haha).


Feb 2010 - Me and My Unit after an intense workout in the Dungeon.


For more information about Beachbody, That Team, or any of the Beachbody Coaches mentioned above, please click on the following links:

Beachbody
That Team
Derek Heikes
Allan Mackiewicz
Chris Batu
James Ces
Jon Ces
Kim Bemis
Maia Carney


No comments: