That Girl from That Team

LEARN. DO. TEACH. REPEAT.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Family is Always Hardest

I know for a fact that this has happened to some of you and I know that it just takes time and patience, but right now I am so frustrated that I feel the need to express myself.

My parents know that I have been a health and fitness coach for over a year and that I am all gung-ho about helping others get fitter and healthier.  They also know that I love Shakeology and I was so proud of my mom for drinking it for the few months that she did.  [[ Why she stopped I do not know, especially considering the fact that she admitted it made her feel stronger, more energetic and more alert.]]  What is even worse than her stopping though is coming home to see 6 different containers of supplements sitting on the kitchen counter.   The idea of her taking multiple pills a day to feed her body with just 1/3rd (if even) of the nutrition ONE serving of Shakeology could provide her truly boggles my mind.  She claims that it is cheaper and that the pills are for both she and my dad, but frankly, her reasoning does not make much sense.  It may be cheaper because there is less nutrition value but with two people going through those bottles on a daily basis, I don't know how long they will last before needing a costly refill.  My dad has also just left town and won't be back for two weeks and he didn't take any of the vitamins with him.  As for my mom, she has yet to take a single pill since they were bought over a week ago.  I am so very disappointed.

As if I were an architect, an engineer or even a pharmacist for that matter, it seems my parents regard me as their child and nothing more.  I know this is not the right way of thinking though so I will try and stay positive.  Still, it really hurts to know that my own mother enjoyed a product that I truly believe in and am absolutely passionate about only to turn her back on not just Shakeology, but on her own daughter as well. 

You know, there will always be times when you run into people who request your help or advice and then do nothing with it.  It is definitely hard to put effort and care into people without being appreciated, but really, when that day comes when they realize everything you told them is truth and honesty and necessary, THAT is when they will really appreciate you for always being there for them.

Never give up.  Just know that it is not their time to change yet.  When they are ready, you will surely know.  And if they are making changes but ones that you don't really agree with (such is the case with my parents and their 6 supplement pills), then let them try it to see if it works for them.  If it doesn't do any good after a while, then lend them another hand.  There are ways, but there are even BETTER ways.

Our job as coaches is to educate the public, friends and family included.  And yes, it takes time and a lot of patience.

No comments: